Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken ~ Frank Herbert
The Insatiable Traveler celebrates the magic of world travel and my adventures at home in New York City. I combine award-winning photography and original storytelling to transport, immerse and excite readers, inspiring them to seek adventure and connect with the people and places they visit.
Whether on the far side of the planet or on the boardwalk of Coney Island, exploring the world, capturing a moment, nailing that perfect shot (I haven’t yet, by the way), has become an addictive challenge and a new passion, all in one.
A Little About Me
I am a mid-western girl (Michigan to be exact) at heart who considers herself a New York native after living over 20+ years in Manhattan. Once a very successful Corporate Communications executive at Condé Nast, I was laid off and began a freelance career. But something nagged at me, and a few years later I threw caution to the wind and made the scary choice of leaving PR to indulge my love of travel and photography as a freelance travel photographer, writer, and blogger. It’s been a challenging journey but one I believe will make me happy for the long haul.
My hope is to become independently wealthy, travel the world for six months out of every year, and share my adventures along the way. However, that’s not as easy as it sounds so I travel as often I can and make pictures along the way.
In addition to The Insatiable Traveler, you’ll find my work in Newsweek.com, Adventure.com, Business Insider’s “The Insider”, Green Global Travel, The HuffPost, Jaunted, Mashable, One.org, Passion Passport, PopSugar, Solo Traveler, The New York Times, TakePart.com, The Globe & Mail, Today.com, US News & World Report and Wendy Perrin, among others.
Podcast interviews: Amateur Traveler (South Africa, Namibia), Speaking of Travel (Cuba, Mongolia, Peru), USA Today, “Talking Tech” (Travel Photography tips), Traveling Image Makers (Mongolia, Photo Workshops, Travel Photography, Solo Travel.)
Featured by Newsweek’s Instagram Feed
The Insatiable Traveler has been featured in..
- Photo District News Award for “Animal Portrait” in “Faces”
Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
- SATW Lowell Thomas Honorable mention for The Insatiable Traveler received for best Travel Blog in 2017
- Silver Lowell Thomas Award for “Photo Illustration of Travel” from the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) – 2018 for “The Thrill of Canada’s only Polar Bear Walking Photo Safari“
- Bronze Lowell Thomas Award for “Photo Illustration of Travel” from the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)- 2018 “Behind the Scenes of a Rodeo and What Makes Cowboys Tick”
- 2017–“Photographing Kazakh Mongolians and the Importance of Tea“
- 2016–“15 Incredible Photos of a Tribe You’ve Probably Never Heard Of”
Muster Photo Competition
- Gold Award for Action and Adventure 2918
- Silver & Bronze Muster Photo Award for People Portrait 2017
- Silver Muster Photo Award for People General 2017
- Muster Merit Award for Cultural 2017
- Discover Corp’s “17 of the Top Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2017.”
- My photos have been featured multiple times on National Geographic’s “Your Shot Daily Dozen.”
- I was included in WordPress’ “World Through a Lens: Photographer Blogs to Follow Now” as well as featured on the platform’s “Freshly Pressed” and “Discovery” showcases.
Commercial Work | Branded Content
Washington Post Brand Studio (Client: Destination Canada)
Canadian Badlands Tourism Board
International Expeditions (Amazon River Cruise)
Tully Luxury Travel
Consulting on website content and development of the African Dream’s Division newsletter
Kate Spade: Photos from Morocco and Central Park (respectively) used for packaging of brand’s New York Bon Voyage travel candle line. (2017)
Member of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) and the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA).
Work with Me
If you would like to work with me please email me at Susan [at] TheInsatiableTraveler [dot] com.
At this time I do not accept unsolicited sponsored posts or links
If you’d like to just sit back and not worry about missing a post, sign up for my newsletter. You won’t regret it.
Thank you so much for stopping by.
~ Susan Portnoy
Images on the site are mine unless otherwise stated
(Header photo by Christopher Michel)