Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken. ~ Frank Herbert
Through The Insatiable Traveler, I celebrate the magic of world travel and my adventures at home in New York City. I use award-winning photography and original storytelling to transport, immerse and excite readers, inspiring them to seek adventure and connect with the people and places they visit.
A little about me
I am a mid-western girl (Michigan to be exact) who considers herself a New York native after living for years in Manhattan. I adore traveling – almost anywhere will do – but I tend to gravitate towards exotic destinations with authentic cultures, wildlife or remnants of ancient civilizations. In short, Africa, Bhutan, Cuba, Machu Picchu, Mongolia and Myanmar are high on my list of places I’ve loved.
Whether on the far side of the planet or on the boardwalk of Coney Island, exploring the world, capturing a moment, nailing that perfect shot (I haven’t yet, by the way), has become an addictive challenge and a new kind of adventure, all in one.
My hope is that my photos and tales will inspire others to embrace travel and engage with the people and places they visit.
My goal is to become independently wealthy and travel 24/7. However, I’ve learned that it’s not as easy as it sounds, so I travel when I can and take pictures along the way.
In addition to The Insatiable Traveler, you’ll find my work in Adventure.com, Business Insider’s “The Insider”, Green Global Travel, The HuffPost, Jaunted, Mashable, One.org, Passion Passport, PopSugar, Solo Traveler, The New York Times, TakePart.com, The Globe & Mail, Today.com, US News & World Reports and Wendy Perrin, among others.
Podcast interviews: Amateur Traveler (South Africa, Namibia), Speaking of Travel (Cuba, Mongolia, Peru), USA Today, “Talking Tech” (Travel Photography tips), Traveling Image Makers (Mongolia, Photo Workshops, Travel Photography, Solo Travel.)
The Insatiable Traveler has been featured in..
- Lowell Thomas Honorable mention for The Insatiable Traveler received for best Travel Blogs in 2017
- Bronze Lowell Thomas Award for “Photo Illustration of Travel” from the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) in 2016 & 2017.
- Silver & Bronze Muster Photo Award for People Portrait 2018
- Silver Muster Photo Award for People General 2018
- Muster Merit Award for Cultural 2018
- Discover Corp’s “17 of the Top Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2017.”
- My photos have been featured multiple times on National Geographic’s “Your Shot Daily Dozen.”
- I was included in WordPress’ “World Through a Lens: Photographer Blogs to Follow Now” as well as featured on the platform’s “Freshly Pressed” and “Discovery” showcases.
Member of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) and the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA).
Work with Me
If you would like to work with me please email me at Susan [at] TheInsatiableTraveler [dot] com.
At this time I do not accept sponsored posts.
If you’d like to just sit back and not worry about missing a post, sign up for my newsletter. You won’t regret it.
Thank you so much for stopping by.
~ Susan Portnoy
Images on the site are mine unless otherwise stated
(Header photo by Christopher Michel)