Photo by Steve McCurry
I am one of 60 zillion people that hold Steve McCurry in high regard; his work is absolutely amazing. While there are so many pictures worthy of attention, I especially like this photo for a variety of reasons.
- I’ve never been to Sri Lanka, so the romance and drama of this picture makes me want to jump on the next plane.
- I love the scene: I want to know who these men are and the history behind this unusual way of fishing.
- I don’t know anything about the context: whether it was staged or something these men do all the time (I am hoping for the latter because it means that anyone can see it.), but it tells a wonderful story, and one that I want to witness in person.
- The energy is palpable: I can almost hear the waves and the wind.
- I love the richness and depth of the colors.
- The composition is fantastic. Perfectly balanced: my eye moves easily across the image.
- It reminds me how far I have to go in my own photography, which while daunting, it inspires me to grab my camera and keep shooting.
Categories: Photos I Wish I Had Taken